Monday, September 12, 2011

Watercolor Papers - An Overview

Watercolor paper comes in many different forms. There are blocks of paper, full sheets (measuring 22"X30"), half sheets, sketchbooks and pads. It may also be purchased in a long roll, 42" wide, which may then be cut to any length you desire. The papers have many different surfaces and weights, and are most commonly "cold pressed" or "hot pressed". A gelatin sizing is added to the paper, either during or after its production, to make it less absorbent. Without the sizing it would be overly absorbent and become "soggy" when watercolor was applied.

"Cold pressed" watercolor paper has a medium texture to its surface. It's neither smooth nor rough, and is my personal favorite. Once the paper has been made, it is pressed through cold cylinders to flatten it; hence its name.

"Hot pressed" watercolor paper is pressed through heated cylinders at the end of their production, yielding a smooth, slick surface. The paint seems to move around a bit on it before settling in.

Many sheets of watercolor paper have lovely deckled edges. These irregular borders are a result of the paper making process and give it character. Whenever I need to make a smaller piece, from a full sheet, I carefully tear along the line I have made, rather than cut it. Although this edge won't be nearly as nice as the deckled ones, it is somewhat rough and much preferred to a cut edge.

When choosing a watercolor paper, you will notice a weight in its description. The higher the number, the heavier the paper. This number is derived from stacking 500 completed sheets, and then weighing the stack. For example, there is 140 lb paper and 300 lb paper. The three hundred pound paper won't buckle when wet, making it easier to work with, but of course is more expensive.

I always use 140 lb paper and get around the buckling issue in two ways. The first is to lightly wet the back of the paper before painting on the front. This helps to keep the paper from curling while I am painting. The second thing I do is when I have finished painting for the day, I evenly dampen the back of my work, then place it between two sheets of masonite board flat on the floor. I then place five one gallon jugs, filled with cement, on top of the masonite. Any heavy objects would do, such as stacks of books. In the morning I have a perfectly flat painting.

Sue Doucette, Artist/Author
http://www.capecodwatercolor.com/
I have been painting with watercolor for twentyfive years, and would like to share with you what I have learned. Many artists wish to keep their "tricks of the trade" secret, fearing you may become the better painter. My hope is that you will come to love painting with watercolor as much as I do!

Please visit my website http://www.capecodwatercolor.com/ and check out my monthly Hints For Artists. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.


http://EzineArticles.com/6506498

No comments:

Post a Comment